The history of the burgher's house in Wenceslas Square in Prague, where the Triton restaurant is currently located, dates from the late 14th century.
In 1911 the building “U modré botky“ was bought by the hotelier Emil Ročák, who refurbished the building to turn it into a hotel and restaurant. The restaurant was built in the cellars during the renovations. It included a mezzanine gallery with a stage for cabaret and other entertainment performances. The hotel as a whole, with the stalactite cave received its occupancy permit in 1912.
In December 1918, the house was bought by Městská spořitelna, who, on 24-10-1919, sold it to František Tichý, who, among other things, was a hotelier and the owner of the building no. 784, as well as a founder of Czech cinematography, and, from 1918, its chairman.
On 3 September 1920, in the stalactite cave basement hall, already part of Hotel Adria, the theatre/cabaret REVOLUČNÍ SCÉNA started performing – Together with the theatre's operator, Emil Artur Longen (an artist from Hašek's a Gellner's anarchist circle) the theatre also held performances by Fernec Futurista, Vlasta Burian, Rudolf Jílovský, Karel Noll, Eman Fiala and others.
The best era of the spaces of the restaurant Triton was at the beginning of 1925, when Vlasta Burian presented his own theatre “DIVADLO VLASTY BURIANA“ - at the time, the most successful theatre in the inter-war period. From the very beginning, it was a meeting place for important personalities of the Czech political and cultural lives, such as Jaroslav Marvan, Jindřích Plachta, E. E. Kisch, Saša Rašilov, Hugo Haas, and more... Burian's theatre opened every evening with a short performance by Vlasta Burian and Emil Artur Longen. Longen here worked as an actor, but he also tried to lead Burian towards a satirical comedy character. However, Burian at the time leant more towards a solo type of comedy with no regards for scripts that demolished not only literary basis but also dramatic interplay with unexpected scenes. Vlasta Burian performed in the stalactite cave of the current restaurant Triton until 1928, when the theatre moved to another location. Due to its increasing popularity, Burian's theatre moved from Wenceslas Square 26 to Švandovo divadlo in Smíchov.
A hall called BURIANOVO DIVADLO was built during renovations in 1927. The hall, including its façade, was renovated and used like cinema HOLLYWOOD until 1930. In 1940, the National Heritage Office issued a statement declaring the house on no. 784 as heritage protected. In 1951 the building was placed under state administration and the lobby was modified to house the facilities of the Mechanika cooperative. In 1974, the cellars of the front building were renovated for the Adria College Club.
The famous era of the stalactite cave continued with the performances of the OZVOBOZNENÝ DIVADLO, and between 1928 and 29, the place was also used by the actors Voskovec and Werich We have found preserved invitations to the opening performance of “Král Ubu” (14-11-1928), “Smoking Review” (8-5-1928), or the daily comedy “...si pořádně zařádit...”
TRITON restaurant celebrated its 100th anniversary and published the book “S Trojzubcem u 100lu”.
It is interesting that the king of Czech comedy, Vlasta Burian, never ate much in films, only exceptionally, when the story so required. His “biggest” gourmet era was when he hired one of the best Czech cooks at the time – Jaromír Trejbal. The current menu of restaurant TRITON includes one of Vlasta Burian's favourite meals – Vlasta Burian's noodles – from one of his personal cooks, the above-mentioned Jaromír Trejbal.